Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Representative Roy may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. All students who complete packets will be scheduled for an in person interview with Congressman Roy’s academy board in early December and will be notified of their nomination status before Christmas.
To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
Guidelines For Submissions
The office of Rep. Chip Roy will begin accepting applications starting May 1.
Deadline -- Submissions must be postmarked by October 11, 2020 for the high school graduating class of 2021 and current college students.
- A 2x3 passport style wallet photo
- A typed resume
- A minimum of a one-page essay on why you want to attend a service academy
- Three personal recommendation letters addressed to Congressman Roy from someone who knows you best, but not a family member.
- Official copy of high school transcript, with final grades from Junior year and schedule of course work for senior year
- Official copy of college transcript, if applicable
- Official copy of SAT/ACT scores
For more information, please contact Anne Overby: Anne.Overby@mail.house.gov
If an applicant would like to make corrections and/or submit additional information, please resubmit the application directly to Anne Overby.