Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Representative Roy may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. All students who complete packets will be scheduled for an in person interview with Congressman Roy’s academy board in early December and will be notified of their nomination status before Christmas.
To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
Guidelines For Submissions
Basic eligibility requirements:
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of April 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 21st Congressional District of Texas.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy
Click here to begin your file in our system – upon completion, you will receive an email in response with more detailed information.
Details for submission:
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Click here, print and send with your packet
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
Deadline for completing a nomination:
The nomination application period opens April 1 this year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated. The deadline for submitting a nomination packet to the District Office is Oct. 12, 2021.